November 13, 2010

NaNoWriMo - Day 13 - Outlining

This is what progress looks like:
This is an outline of about 70-80% of my novel, organized with post-it notes (some cut into smaller strips) over the balcony door (they seem to stick better to glass than wood or a plain wall). I spent most of my writing time yesterday working on it, but I think it was worth it since I was able to arrange the scenes I'd already written in order, and into fewer documents, and hopefully being more aware of the narrative flow would also help its later construction. Besides, it's always good to verify that what you're writing is actually going somewhere.
F. Scott Fitzgerald writing
I know NaNoWriMo is all about rushing to the end, but I think it helps when you know where you're headed. Plus, an outline is not a contract, you can always change it later on to suit different needs as they arise. I also managed to write just a bit more than my suggested daily word count, so while I haven't closed the gap that had grown considerably over the week, at least I didn't expand it either.

No comments:

Post a Comment