February 23, 2010

The News on Tues - Expected Rejection and Title Selection

  • Since last Tuesday my posts on 2log have been mostly silly.
  • I started a new photo-blog, though it's written in Hebrew and focused on biking in Tel Aviv, I think you might still find it interesting in parts.
  • I read Asterios Polyp by David Mazzucchelli, a beautifully and cleverly executed graphic novel.
  • I submitted my novel to four (!) Israeli publishing houses and expect to start getting rejections in a couple of months.
In non-me-related news:

  • The Rumpus has a piece on choosing a good title for your book, inluding an amusing list of titles to avoid (e.g. The Lofty Abstraction, a.k.a. the Bad Kundera - “The Lonely Shackles of Mortality,” or The It-Doesn’t-Get-Any-Cuter-Than-This - “Runaway Grandma”).
  • Lee Ellis from The New Yorker comments on the Helene Hegemann affair.
  • The Guardian asked a lot of writers to list their 10 Dos and Don'ts of writing, and got very long, interesting, and often contradictory responses (published in two parts). Don't read it all at once, it'll give you a headache, but do try to read everything, even the stuff by the writers you don't like or think much of. You can always choose the tactics that you think might be right for you, discover something that appeals to you, or be comforted by the shared struggle and insecurity. Macy Halford of The New Yorker also commented on the matter.
And hot off the presses, I present this Youtube video:

No comments:

Post a Comment